Thursday, October 21, 2010

How rock and roll saved my soul

My Impression Now live in Minneapolis

Probably my favorite band of all time, Guided by Voices, reunited recently for a tour and I was lucky enough to see them 3 times in Chicago, Newport, KY and Columbus, OH.  I got into Guided by Voices sometime around 1998 and remember having my mind completely blown first time I really listened to them.  There are a handful of rock bands in my life that have had such a profound impact on me the first time I hear them that in the 2 to 3 minutes from when I hit 'PLAY" and the first song ends, I realize almost instantly that my life has somehow been altered.   GBV has probably had that impact on me more than any other band.

Listening to an amazing rock band is bliss for me. My ears may be ringing the next day (I am trying to get better about remembering ear plugs as I am sure my hearing is not what it once was), but it makes me happy in ways few other things do.  At my moments of greatest sadness and despair it was music that usually brought me around (along with good friends but in many ways the two go hand in hand for me).  When I went through something very traumatizing many years ago I took solace in the music of my favorite bands.  Some of my greatest moments of utter joy have been watching my favorite band surrounded by good friends.  Rock and roll makes me appreciate being alive.

No comments: