Friday, October 8, 2010

Why am I here?

Food blogs are ubiquitous I realize.  I'm not doing anything that different.

Thing is, food is a subjective thing.  I have no way of knowing how a bite of food will taste on your palate and what makes one person cringe in disgust will make another drool in anticipation.  I do not claim to be an expert on food but I enjoy it and I know what I like and what tastes good to me.

As far as the writing part, well, I have a lot of free time.  Like many people I was laid off from my job (long story short, big bank takes over small bank and inevitably there are some redundancies and I was one of them).  I spent 8 and a half years working in a bank and prior to that I spent 2 years working for a mutual fund company.  I liked working in finance okay, it paid the bills and I was good at it.  But I didn't love it.  My severance gave me a good cushion and I was fortunate in that I paid off my debt prior to being laid off.  I decided that if I can manage it I would like to have a job I really like.  It may not happen and I may wind up having to take whatever I can get if I stay unemployed much longer.  I don't plan on being too picky because I really can't be, but I spent over a decade working a job I was ambivalent about and I'd like to start a new trend if I can.  It may involve going back to school, but that's okay.

I figured while I do my job hunt to spend part of my time doing something I enjoy.  I really don't know if I'm even that good of a writer, but it feels good to have a creative outlet.

So this is the place I'll be using to write about restaurants (if you have any recommendations, please pass them along), dishes I attempts to make, dishes other people make, food memories and I can pretty much guarantee that I will go off on many tangents.  I will probably tell you too much about myself, but blogging is a somewhat masturbatory exercise so I figure that is to be expected.

Anyway, here goes nothing.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Your writing style is very engaging.

My favorite blogs are the ones that give me an option to get an email when a new post comes out. or I can see a notice on facebook. I'm pathetic at remembering to check in to blogs. If those are options I'll be happy.

Do you follow 101 cookbooks? That's one I like, though it's more for the recipes than the prose. And Cream Puffs in Venice has its annoyances, but I like how it showcases folks who are trying the recipes they see in the media. I've been thinking a long time about starting one called "to market, to market" about one quirky little comestibles market at a time.

Ga-Ström said...

I'm going to try and send notices to facebook when I update. I have a couple people whose blogs I try to follow and it's tough to remember to read them without some sort of notice.

I like the market blog idea - cool name too. I miss going food shopping at Haymarket and in the North End.